Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless exhaust by-product of combustion engines. Potentially dangerous exposure can occur before symptoms actually appear.
High exposure in the short-term can include the following key symptoms:
- Severe headache
- Impaired judgement
- Convulsions, coma and death can occur with acute exposure
The long-term effects of Carbon Monoxide exposure are hardening of arteries and increased risk of heart attack.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) levels whilst cutting with a petrol-powered saw during new house construction
- CO levels were measured on 4 separate jobs using cutting equipment without fume extraction
- After 60 minutes all jobs exceeded the Australia CO Exposure Standard
- All cutting took place during new house construction with the walls up and the roof off.
Source: Hazards of Quick-Cut Brick Chasing Saws; with Main Focus, the Assessment and Control of Carbon Monoxide Exposure. A Report For: Worksafe – Department of Consumer & Employment Protection Western Australia.